“My September 11th, 2001 memory: I couldn’t tell you what concert I worked the night before, but I recall waking up to the news of a plane hitting one of the Twin Towers, groggily witnessing the second plane hit and thinking, “What the fuck?” after screaming into the other room “Holy shit another plane crashed into the towers!”
Two hours later, we found out we were having a baby girl. That news alone floored me . . . the shit happening everywhere else made me question if bringing another innocent into this world was a smart thing to do.
And that’s my 9-11 memory. Now share yours . . .”
Good grief. Last entry made me sound really emo. Let’s lighten the mood by sharing what’s playing on my iPod:
1. “Into the Void” Kiss
2. “The Chauffer (live)” Duran Duran
3. “It Won’t Be Long” The Hives
4. “Anywhere’s Better Than Here” The Replacements
5. “Back 2 Good” Matchbox Twenty
6. “Who the Fuck?” PJ Harvey
7. “H” Julian Plenti
8. “Information Travels Faster” Death Cab for Cutie
9. “Look Down” The Monkees
10. “Cry Me a River” Glen Hansard
11. “Terry’s Song” Bruce Springsteen
12. “You’re Full of Shit (Check Out My Sweet Riffs)” Giant Drag
13. “I Hurt You” The Pretenders
14. “Commerce, TX” Ben Kweller
15. “Way To Go” Flesh For Lulu
16. “Heaven Know I’m Miserable Now” The Smiths
17. “You’ve Been Flirting Again (live)” Bjork
18. “Heart-Shaped Box” Nirvana
19. “Shoplifters of the World Unite (live)” Morrissey
20. “Morning” Lennon
I never aspired for greatness.
While this may be a very jaded self point-of-view, it just makes sense. Competition was never my strong suit. I never played sports growing up. I was a B-average student all throughout school. I found contentment in being mediocre.
My 37th year approaches. What do I have to show for it so far? My mental inventory doesn’t look promising.
I’ll admit it. I’ve been slacking off. Very badly.
Summer 2009 was an opportunity for me to go home and reconnect, refresh and reclaim some sanity. Too much of the “real world” bringing me down. I needed a break before I broke down.
I kept a vacation blog on my FaceBook page. FaceBook, what a trip. So many faces from the past have resurfaced–all for the good. Friendships once lost, now at least have the opportunity to be rekindled. Maybe.
Where did 2009 go?
Time waits for no one. Time to get up off my arse. And my soapbox.
But did I even really say anything worthwhile?